Eureka Springs Historical Museum
Established 1971 in Calif House
This three-story limestone building with metal-clad roof enclosing the top story was constructed in 1889 by Samuel L. Calif. For fifty years it served as a residence, general merchandise store, and boarding house. About 1948, the building was converted for use as a meeting hall for the B.P.O.E. and was known as the Elks Lodge until 1970 when the organization relocated.
Since 1947, the original Ozark Folk Festival is held annually in Eureka Springs, directed by a non profit corporation of local citizens. In 1971, the Festival Board of Directors purchased the Calif House for the purpose of establishing a museum of local history. A Museum Advisory Board accepted the task to collect, preserve, and exhibit artifacts in the building, and the museum opened to the public October, 1971.
In 1980, the Festival Board created Eureka Springs Historical Museum, Inc. an association open to membership by all interested persons which assumed ownership of the museum property and oversight of its operation. The wood and glass store front and two-story ornamented wood porches were replaced as the building was restored to its original appearance.
Located adjacent to the museum building is Calif Spring situated in a spring reservation established by the City of Eureka Springs February 15, 1886, and maintained as a public park originally named Table Rock Spring. The name Calif came into common use after that family built their residence next to it.
Cora Pinkley Call Cabin and Heritage Garden
The Log Cabin and garden were established as a museum property beginning in 1997 in an effort to preserve the pioneer history of the vicinity. The cabin was constructed in 1930 using hand hewn logs from the James Seaton Cabin built at Blue Spring about 1830 as well as logs from other surviving pioneer cabins in the vicinity. Door and hearth stone are from G.W. Pinkley homestead of 1865 date. Cora Pinkley Call noted Ozark folklorist and author, used the cabin as a studio and organized the Ozark Writers and Artists Guild there about 1933.