The Three Flat-Irons
The original Flat-Iron Building was constructed within sight of Basin Spring in the year 1880. It housed the Town’s first banking establishment and was the first structure made of brick among hundreds of wood buildings. The unusual three-sided, four story structure featured wood trim and a wraparound porch between second and third floors.
In 1890, a fire began in the nearby Perry House Hotel which destroyed several buildings, including the Flat-Iron.
A second Flat-Iron was constructed on the site within a short time. The three-story building was made of brick with elaborate limestone ornamentation and a pressed metal cornice. In 1900, the building housed the Frisco Saloon with business offices and a lodge hall on upper floors.
The second Flat-Iron succumbed to fire. The brick and stone remains were taken down and the site stood vacant until 1989, when the third flat-Iron was constructed, incorporating architectural design elements of both previous structures.