Bank of Eureka Springs
Bank of Eureka Springs was established in May, 1912 in the Klock and Clark Building at 75 Spring Street. In 1946, it was relocated to 40 Spring Street.
In 1966, the Bank purchased the McGinnis property at 70 S. Main Street. The old livery barn and store building were torn down. A spacious brick building was constructed and opened for business November 25, 1967, with the first free parking drive-up service window and community room of any bank in the county.
The George M. McGinnis and son livery stable was established in the 1890's. Just one of many stables and blacksmith shops along S. Main Street. Otis McGinnis carried on the livery business until about 1930 when automobiles had replaced horses for transportation, then operated the feed store until advanced old age. His heirs sold the property to the Bank of Eureka Springs in 1966.
In 1978, the bank building was enlarged and remodeled by local contractor, Wayne Johnson. The building was to be made in the style of earlier Eureka Springs bank architecture, using brick and limestone quarried near elk ranch. The same quarry which supplied the stone to build much of historic Eureka Springs. The interior was also of late 19th century Eureka Springs’ bank architecture and fixtures. The dedication was held June 23, 1979, as one of the key events of the Eureka Springs Centennial.
By December, 1993, further enlargement of the facility was needed and the Board determined to build a two story addition at the south end of the structure. The theme of Victorian architecture was continued inside and out. Tom Crews Johnson of Eureka Springs was the architect. Herman Pinkley, local contractor, carried out construction completed in 1995.